Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A letter to The Editor

They never published the following.... I think because maybe they liked complainers:



Dear Editor:

Taxes are not my favorite subject in the world to talk about. I don’t like to pay. With that said, I cannot believe the amount of whining and sniveling I read in the ‘letters to the editor’ about how some people feel that they shouldn’t have to pay.

A few weeks back, one lady said she didn’t have to pay for road fees because she’s not only retired and on fixed income. And she takes the bus. What does the bus drive on? When she does manage to levitate over the trees to the grocery store, how does the food get to the shelves? Last I heard groceries were still trucked to the store and the food clerks had to travel by road to the grocery store. Busses drive on roads too.

Yesterday I talked with a lady who refused to be happy that personal income tax fell by 10% because hydro was being raised by 11%. So if a person were to take home 2,000 bucks a month, they are now going to me taking home 2,200 instead.

A two hundred dollar raise is something to be happy about.

If you pay a 100 bucks a month for hydro, now you get to pay 111. Do the math. Now the personal average Joe Tax Payer Citizen is ahead. We can take that extra money and buy weenies for the barbeque, throw a party or save up for a big screen TV to sit and watch other people live lives in reality shows or soaps or whatever floats your boat.

Roads cost money. Bridges cost money. Everyone wants to use the roads, but no one wants to pay.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like paying taxes, but I pay them because I’ll be arrested and thrown in jail if I don’t. But, if you constantly look at the empty half of the glass, you will always be miserable and find things to complain about even when there is nothing wrong.

Sound familiar?

Have you ever heard a Canadian like the weather? Too hot, it makes me sweat. Too chilly. It’s muggy. Too rainy. We need rain, things are too dry. Wished this rain would stop.

The only people that come out ahead with complaining is you; the newspaper guys. Filling up a paper becomes a whole lot easier with people crying in their beer, publicly, crying that the world in unfair and this isn’t good for them at all.

If it’s broke, fix it. If it costs money, spend it, but make more. Move on. Get a life. Don’t like it? Change it. Disagree? Say so, but c’mon, get off the couch and do something instead of belly aching to every passing stranger who’ll stop to listen to your moaning.

Taking a positive outlook on life can be a challenge at times, but sincerely, does crying about a raise in road tax because we have exorbitant amount of potholes accomplish anything? Does it serve any purpose at all?

Please don’t think I’m defending government. I’m not pro-government, I’m anti-complaining. I honestly don’t think that any government does a good job, but things move a long no matter who’s in office and how badly they make a mess of things. I have bigger things to worry about and more things to do, to build, change and create.

Woot woot! We get pay raise courtesy of the government that happens to be in office right now. I’m going to have a few friends over for a Barbeque and this time I’ll be able to buy beer and use real meat and everything. Get in your car and drive on over,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home