Tuesday, April 10, 2007

First Nation Article

I wrote the following. It's a bit of a long read, and just so you know, they published it in the local newspaper.



It would seem there is a great deal of disappointment regarding the decision for Lheidli T’enneh’s decision to turn down the proposed treaty.


As my band negotiated and accepted the treaty they were offered (after many years of negotiation) I had the opportunity to sit in on some First Nations informational meetings first hand. The truth of the matter is; that no matter the colour of your skin or your background and upbringing people are people.


In my band, there was a handful of headstrong people with loud voices, who hollered and yelled how they were being cheated and things weren’t fair. These voices were the minority and the tactics these people used were obtuse; then there were the people who are trying to get by, pay bills have families and progress in life, whether on the reservation or off. I fell in to the latter category.


I am happy that the cooler heads prevailed in my band.


Righting a wrong is nearly impossible, especially considering the years that have passed. Consider: if my Great Great Grandfather was promised a hundred dollars and it wasn’t paid to him by the Canadian Government, and after 100 years of investment at a rate of return of 10% compounded once annually, the government would owe me $1,378,061.23. I sound rich? I pulled that number out of thin air. Who would say that my grandfather would invest that hundred dollars instead of buying a house, or car, or boat? Then it would be gone and I have exactly what I have now. How can anyone say that the government is under obligation to the number?


What about land? How much land did the nation occupy before the settling of the Europeans? Did my forefathers come and try to move in on the Lheidli T’enneh’s lands because they wanted more for my band? The other way around? How can you take a system that existed before the car and make it fit in this modern era?


This is pretty complicated stuff.


I was grateful that the government settled with my band, though the numbers were of little consequence as the money went into trust. The band has helped out with my college education and occasionally send me return on the investment of the trust account. From a personal standpoint, I am very happy I am getting a boost up.


What about the Lheidli T’enneh? They are cutting themselves out of a deal, even if it might not be the best deal, they don’t have one.


They were offered a sum of money that they could be using to make their lives better, to invest, to get better education, to use to develop, to create, however, that money is now “off the table.” Tomorrow instead of opening a new business, they can continue negotiations. Instead of building a summer camp for their children, they can negotiate. Instead of founding an education fund, they can negotiate. Instead of helping the elderly people with home care, they can negotiate. Instead of building a future, they can negotiate.


It’s their game, their deal. When does life start and when can they move on from the negotiations? It’s up to them, I guess.


As for me, my band settled. There was some internal strife of members of the band becoming selfish and monies being unaccounted for, however, that dark chapter appears to be over.


Negotiation is a concession on both sides. Our band members made concessions as did the Canadian Government and now the band is prospering and moving forward with initiatives, education and the betterment of all the band members. It is by no means perfect, but the deal is done and we are living with the effects.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home